This coming Sunday, Pastor Larry will preach our last sermon in the series, “The Church: Home Away From Home.” He will be reminding us where our confidence lies as a church from Matthew 16:13-18. I trust you have come to gain a better appreciation of the “bride of Christ” in these last 10 weeks. This series culminates this Sunday evening in a special called meeting of our members to vote on the newly proposed polity. This is a very important decision in the life of the CCC family. These last few months have been bathed with open discussion and much prayer as we seek God’s leading in unifying our local fellowship for His mission. As pastors we would like you to see your part as vital this Sunday evening.
- First of all, you are vital as an individual saved by His grace. In Titus 3:4-6, Paul reminds us, “But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, He saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to His own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior,” You are loved and precious to Christ as a person.
- Secondly, you are vital as a member of this local body, Christ’s Covenant Church. Again, in 1 Corinthians12:27, Paul says, “Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is part of it.” (NIV) He also reminds us of the goal for the body in Ephesians 4:12b-13 as each plays his part, “so that the body of Christ may be built up, until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. What a wonderful privilege we have in being part of the local body in pursuit of becoming more like our Savior together!!
- Lastly, you are a vital member of Christ’s expanded body. We are all united together, proclaiming hope in the resurrection, marching toward that ultimate goal that the apostle John describes for us in Revelation 7:9-10, “After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in from of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands. They cried out in a loud voice: ‘Salvation belongs to our God, who sits on the throne, and the the Lamb’. What a glorious day that will be when our struggle with sin is over, every tear is wiped from our eyes, and best of all we are with our Savior who loved us and secured our eternal salvation.
So as a vital member of this body, united for His glory, please plan to join us this coming Sunday evening at 6:00 p.m. in this important time for Christ’s Covenant Church.
Allow me to close asking you to remember 3 p’s (not 3 c’s):
- Prepare your hearts. Read the proposed polity and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you as you come.
- Pray. Join us in prayer this weekend and in our corporate prayer timeSunday evening before the vote.
- Participate. Remember that you are a vitalpart of this body as we move forward in His mission.